Johann Du Plessis
BComm, LLB, LLM (Tax)
Lawyer (Nova Scotia, Ontario, South Africa & Namibia)
Notary Public (Nova Scotia, Ontario & Namibia)
For more than a decade, Johann has assisted owner-managed businesses with their legal needs. As a trusted advisor on business, tax, and commercial law, his legal advice has helped establish many successful small businesses in various jurisdictions.
From setting up a new business to addressing any tax issues that arise along the way, Johann has got your back. He prides himself on his availability and attention to detail when working together with you to grow your business.
Johann is licensed as a lawyer in Nova Scotia, Ontario, South Africa and Namibia. He has extensive experience in cross-border transactions. He is fluent in English and Afrikaans, and is conversant in German, Flemish, Dutch and South Sotho.
In 2017, Johann and his family immigrated to Canada from Namibia. Before coming to Canada, Johann was the founder and managing partner of a law firm in Windhoek and served as the elected vice-chairperson to the council of the Law Society of Namibia.
Johann has always been involved in his community. Before moving to Nova Scotia, Johann volunteered with Acclaim Health in Ontario to visit elderly residents over weekends and keep them company. During his time in Namibia, Johann served as chairperson of the Law Society’s Guidelines Committee and Commercial Law Committee for several years.
- B.Comm (Law) – University of the Free State, South Africa – 2003
- Major in Accounting and Business Management.
- LLB – University of the Free State, South Africa – 2005
- Law Society of the Free State Prize for top student of the class of 2005.
- PPS Insurance Prize for top student in Legal Practice course.
- Financial Planning Institute of South Africa Prize for top student in Financial Planning course insurance component.
- Faculty Award for competing in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Austria.
- Kloppers Award for excellent services rendered to the Juridical Society of the Law Faculty.
- LLM – York University (Osgoode Hall Law School) – 2018
- Professional LLM with specialization in tax law.
- Dissertation on the international tax considerations for Canadian listed mining companies with operations in developing countries.
- Law Society of South Africa (2007)
- Law Society of Namibia (2007)
- Law Society of Ontario (2020)
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society (2021)